Lit. of Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

THE ANSWER TO LIFE, THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING IS 42!

I must say I really enjoyed listening to the radio show of this story. I was already aware of HHG beforehand, I had heard of the movie and that it was based on a book, but I'd never really watched or read anything more about it beyond that. I didn't think it was something I would enjoy, but after listening to the radio show, it's certainly changed my mind. I'll have to give the movie a go at some point

My favorite character has to be Marvin, the paranoid android with the brain the size of a planet who is always feeling depressed. Not just because I can relate to him, but I just found him the most funny, and he was the one character I recognized from the story

The story had so many twists and turns; it's suddenly the end of the world, the Earth is destroyed, it turns out the Earth is an experiment planet that was blown up 5 minutes too early, there's a copy of the Earth as a back-up, and the human race is not descendant of cavemen. It all makes no sense and complete sense at the same time, and it's a very wild, albeit enjoyable ride

I loved the humor used in the story, the comedic banters between the characters, especially between Arthur Dent, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian, and Ford Prefect. I think it was far more enjoyable listening to it rather than read it, which is I suppose the point as to why we were asked to listen to the radio show and not read the book; reading it alone wouldn't give readers the full experience

This was a high note on which to end the semester, a great way to wind down and just enjoy the story while doing other things simultaneously; lots of laughs and rewinds to make sure I heard certain phrases right. It really left me wondering what happened next, eager to listen to more

I think all books should have "Don't Panic" on their covers now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lit. of Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi: The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Lit. of Horror, Fantasy, & Sci-Fi: House of Usher

Lit. of Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi: The Star